Health, Safety and Environment
Last Updated: 16 May 2022
Wherever we work we must make sure that we maintain a safe, healthy and sustainable working environment and promote a positive, just and strong culture in which we continually improve our performance.
Our work is never so urgent or important that we cannot take time to do it safely and with respect for the environment. Wherever we work, we are committed to the promotion of wellbeing and the prevention of injury, ill health and pollution including seeking to reduce the amount of carbon produced and the sustainable use of global resources, while reducing our waste through good waste management and recycling.
- define policy and procedures to promote protect the health and safety of those to whom we owe a duty of care and the environment in which we work
- provide all the necessary resources for the implementation of our policy and procedures
- identify, train and use necessary and competent resources within a defined structure, and allocate health, safety and environmental responsibilities to people who have the necessary skills
- promote a positive, just and strong health, safety and environmental culture based on active and visible leadership and mutual trust, innovation and pride
- create a healthy, productive and inclusive workforce through effective management of staff welfare and occupational health
- meet and, where appropriate, exceed any legal and other requirements that apply
- identify and assess the health, safety and environmental hazards, impacts and risks from our activities and services
- actively encourage the input of employees and others and make decisions based on a deep understanding of the work conditions and constraints relating to health, safety and environmental issues and build sustainable solutions
- set health, safety and environmental objectives and targets that reflect legal requirements and any risks we have identified, and show that we are seeking to continuously improve
- develop and introduce plans to make sure we achieve agreed objectives and manage identified risks
- consider the sustainable use of resources and materials and actively manage the impacts of our business activities on the environment with the aim of minimising, and where possible, eliminating them
- investigate and report on incidents to identify areas where we need to make improvements and prevent further problems
- take action on investigation findings so that people are treated fairly based upon what is morally right, so they are not reprimanded or punished where they had no knowledge of the associated risks or in situations outside of their control and where appropriate action is taken to address deliberate violations of rules and reckless behaviour
- monitor, review and report our performance, measured against set objectives and targets
- regularly review the suitability and effectiveness of our systems, and identify improvements we need to make to our procedures to achieve continual improvement.
We will put this policy into practice by creating a just and strong culture that actively encourages good health, safety and environmental practices and by applying effective policies, standards, systems and processes. Everybody who works for us, anywhere, must act in a safe way and consider environmental issues when making decisions and taking action.